Before knowing how much it costs to live in Brazil, it is necessary that you know that the official currency in the country is the Brazilian real, although in this article we will be guided in euros so as not to get involved. 1 euro is currently equivalent to 3.68 reais. You should also know that the average salary of Brazilians is approximately 575 euros per month. Knowing this, let’s see now what is the cost of living in the country.
How much does it cost to live in Brazil every month?
If you want to rent a 1 bedroom apartment you will have no choice but to pay your landlord an amount between 280 and 400 euros. If you go with family or friends, I have to inform you that the rental of a 3-room apartment has a cost ranging from 550 to 800 euros.
If you want to buy a flat, you should know that the square meter has a value of € 1,600 if the house is in the suburbs, and € 2,400 if it is in the center. It is also important to know that the interest rate on mortgages is 12%.
With only € 6.50 you can eat at a cheap Brazilian restaurant, however, if you are looking for a higher category restaurant, the account will go up to € 16.Fast food restaurants, like everywhere, are quite cheap. A menu of Burger King or McDonalds I do not think it costs more than 8 euros.
Supermarkets in Brazil generally have a higher cost than in other South American countries. I make a small list for you to check for yourself:
- Water (1.5 liters) = € 0.89
- Beer (0.5 liters) = € 1.45
- 1 liter of milk = € 1.06
- Wine bottle = € 9.20
- 1 kilogram of apples = € 2.10
- 1 kg of oranges = 1.14 €
- 1 kg of potatoes = € 1.30
- 1 kg of tomatoes = € 1.60
- 1 kg of veal = € 7.52
- 1 kg of chicken breast = € 3.62
- Dozen eggs = € 1.76
- 1 kg of fresh cheese = € 7.95
For a trip by public transport you will have to pay approximately € 1.20. Monthly bonuses only come out more profitable if you are going to use public transport very often, since they cost approximately € 49. When you get into a taxi, the counter will start with a figure close to € 1.55. For every kilometer you travel that figure will rise 0.85 € more. The price of a liter of gasoline in Brazil is between 1.00 and 1.06 euros.
- If you want to have internet in your home, you will not have to pay another € 27 / month.
- 74 euros each month is more or less what you will have to pay to pay your bills for electricity, water and gas.
- To get a ticket to the cinema, you will have to pay € 7.80 at the box office.
- The monthly fee for a gym has an approximate cost of 36 euros.
- For a pair of Nike or Adidas shoes you will “nail” about 98 euros.
- To summarize, we could say that the cost of living in Brazil would be between 600 and 800 euros (so as not to be in a hurry).